Just in case you were wondering, skin cancer is life-threatening. It can spread just like any other cancer if it’s not caught early. Here are some important statistics.
- Detect skin cancer before it spreads, and the five-year survival rate is 98%.
- If skin cancer spreads to a lymph node, major tissue or an organ, the five-year survival rate drops to 15%.
- The American Cancer Society estimates 76,100 people will be diagnosed with melanoma in 2014.
- Some source material from: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Skin Cancer (CDC.gov/Cancer/Skin)
- Source: American Cancer Society
Protecting your skin is one of the things you can do to live a healthier life. Read more at HealthyDelaware.org and get started on a healthy future.